Marcelle Nankervis is a Horticulturist who has worked in the Horticultural Media for over 16 years.
She is passionate about Permaculture, Sustainability and Gardening for the Future.

Marcelle regularly writes for Your Garden magazine and Better Homes and Gardens.
Her first book was Plants for Australian Dry Gardens (Murdoch Books).
Marcelle's second is Smart Gardening (Exisle Publishing).

Welcome to my Blog!

As a horticultural writer I often come across people, stories, tips, tricks and real gems of information that never really make their way out of my notebook. I am hoping to share a few of these insights here as well as my own gardening experiences, which includes getting my children excited about plants.

I believe that a strong connection with the garden and our landscape when we are young is vital. I am hoping that educating my children in "Green Living" and "Smart Gardening" will provide them with the fundamental building blocks necessary for them to live long and healthy lives, while also doing their bit in helping to create a sustainable and green future for all.

Happy Gardening!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Chives and flowering Alliums

The gardens at Lambley.
Click image to go to the catalogue.
My chives are flowering now, and it always reminds much just how much I adore the flowerheads of flowering alliums. Every year I think that I should include some ornamental alliums in the garden, and then I promptly forget until the next year when my chives flower again.

The first time I really noticed just how beautiful alliums were was at Lambley Nursery and Gardens in Ascot, Victoria. David Glenn had mixed them into his perennial borders and they really were the stars of the show providing colour, contrast and excitement.

He lists Allium sphaerocephalon (Drumstick allium)  in his autumn catalogue (100 plants for $50). The drumstick allium grows to around 1m, takes up very little space and flowers profusely in December.

Allium giganteum
Click image to go to catalogue
 from Australian Gardener
So that gives me flowers in November and December.
But what about the rest of summer?

January and February showcase the large flowerheads of Allium 'Globemaster' (Allium christophii x Allium macleanii) and Allium giganteum. Producing large flowerheads up to 1.2-1.8m tall, these showy alliums are available from February to May via mail order and will fill the garden with spectacular flowers in summer. 
Well, that will certainly have my long awaited desire for a garden full of alliums covered.

Now if I can just remember to order them ....